Good Deed’s Day 2013
Hay House author, businesswoman and philanthropist Shari Arison (whose new book Activate Your Goodness is now available) believes that a good deed can change the world.
In 2007, Shari initiated Good Deeds Day as part of her worldview that every person, no matter who they are, can do something good, be it large or small, to improve the lives of others and positively change the world.
The idea to create Good Deeds Day came to Shari one morning when she was taking her usual morning walk on the sand dunes in Israel: Why not set aside one day each year where everyone is encouraged to do a good deed? All that would be required to participate is a desire to do good.
“When a critical mass gathers to do good, so much can be accomplished even in just one day,” Shari believes. Named by Forbes magazine as one of the world’s most powerful women, Shari has been holding firm to this benevolent mission since she was a child. “All I ever wanted was to inspire people to do good.”
“I have a vision of a good world, a peaceful and happy world, and I say this not because I am naïve and blind. I say this because I have been hurt. I have had trials and tribulations, but I believe that things can be different.”
After six years, Good Deeds Day has succeeded in activating goodness within thousands of people around the world and has spanned across 50 countries—and counting— and Shari couldn’t be happier. “I often ask myself, Wouldn’t it be wounderful if every day were like this? I truly believe it can be so.”
Today is Good Deeds Day 2013. So we thought we’d peruse the bookshelves at Hay House to inspire a list of 10 suggestions for specific good deeds that you might consider on this special day:
10 Hay House-Inspired Actions for Good Deeds Day
1. Take time to say “thank you” to someone who has always been in your corner when you needed them most. (Inspired by Keith Harrel’s Attitude of Gratitude.)
2. Do you know a Mom who could use a break from the kids? Tell your Mom friend to take off to her favorite place for an hour or two and let her know that you’ll keep the little ones in tow. (Inspired by Ashley Koff and Kathy Kaehler’s Mom Energy.)
3. Slap on a big toothy grin and flash a smile at everyone you meet today. When you make eye contact, send them a hearty hello and see how they light up. (Inspired by Loretta LaRoche’s Squeeze the Day.)
4. Do something for Mother Earth today. Take a walk on the beach or visit your favorite park and pick up any trash that you see. Support your local farmers and buy organic. Read up on how you can reduce your carbon footprint. (Inspired by Chris Prelitz’ Green Made Easy.)
5. Pick up a deck of affirmation cards or create your own and leave one in someone’s mailbox or on their desk at work. Hand them out to some of the people who you meet today…in the grocery store, post office or Starbucks. (Inspired by Cheryl Richardson’s Daily Affirmation Cards.)
6. While you’re driving to work today, send a silent message of love to everyone you see—whether they are in a passing car or walking on the sidewalk. If they look stressed, wish them a pleasant day. If they look troubled, send them a healing prayer. (Inspired by Louise Hay’s You Can Create an Exceptional Life.)
7. Visit a nursing home, an assisted-living facility or a shelter today. Spend some time with someone who needs the warmth of a smiling face. (Inspired by Robert Holden’s Be Happy.)
8. Bake a healthy dessert and leave it on the doorstep of a neighbor’s house. Send flowers to someone who could use a lift today. (Inspired by Doreen Virtue and Robert Reeves’ Flower Therapy.)
9. Sit down and handwrite a letter to someone who you’ve been meaning to get back in touch with. (Inspired by Alex Woodard’s For the Sender.)
10. Join the worldwide community of good doers to pump up the volume of good today and pledge here that you will participate in Good Deeds Day 2013. (Inspired by Shari Arison’s Activate Your Goodness.)
You must be signed in to post a comment.
The tools needed to build a successful career in writing or public speaking.
Preview the Wisdom Community membership and receive exclusive Hay House access!